A gender noun is described as a classification of a noun as male, female, or neuter.
On the basis of gender, gender nouns are classified into four classes.
(man/woman, bull/cow, boy/girl, king/queen, etc)
- Masculine Gender
- Feminine Nouns
- Common Gender
- Neuter Gender
Let’s discuss all these types in detail.
1. Masculine Gender
A noun that denotes a male is known as masculine gender.
- I saw a fox in the forest.
- The wizard is showing his feat in a school ceremony.
- His father is doing a very hard job for him.
- The king issues an order to kill the traitor.
- The boy is plucking flowers in the garden.
(the words in the above sentences like Fox, wizard, father, king, traitor, boy all denote Masculine Gender)
2. Feminine Nouns
A noun that denotes a female is said to be of feminine gender.
- She is called madame Jolia in her locality.
- The mother is cooking food for her kids.
- Queen Elizabeth is the most famous lady in history.
- The witch who is performing her role in this play is very dreadful.
- The girl is making garland from the flowers which she plucked from her garden.
(the words in the above sentences like Madam, mother, queen, witch, girl, she all denote feminine nouns)
3. Common Gender
A noun that denotes either a male or a female is said to be of common gender.
- Obey your parents.
- The roll the call of his pupils.
- The officer is doing his best to become the apple of his boss’s eye.
- All my friends decided to go to London next month.
- The players are playing football in the playground with the opposite team.
(the words in the above sentences like Parents, pupils, officers, friends, players all denote common gender)
4. Neuter Gender
A noun that denotes neuter or lifeless object is said to be of the neuter gender.
- My pen is lost somewhere.
- Please give me my pillow.
- I have a glass of juice.
- There are many desks in 5th class.
- She is doing her assignment on the laptop.
- There are tables and chairs in his classroom.
(the words in the above sentences like Pen, pillow, glass, desk, laptop, table, chair all these words denote neuter noun)
Ways of Forming Feminine of Masculine
There are three important ways of forming feminine or masculine nouns.
1. Some masculine nouns become feminine nouns by using entirely different words:
2. Some masculine nouns become feminine nouns by adding a syllable (ess, ine, etc)
3. Some masculine nouns become feminine nouns by placing a word before or after the noun.
|He goat||She goat|
|Foster father||Foster mother|
|Cock sparrow||Hen sparrow|
|He bear||She bear|
Hopefully, your concept about Gender Noun is clear now, This lecture is part of the whole series of English Grammar by Miss Nabila Gulzar, For Other Lectures Click Here also We have an Essay on every topic, Check the complete list here. If you are Studying in Matric Free Video Lectures of Maths, Physics and English are here, and we have got you covered for I.COM Business Maths also.